Frequently Asked Questions
When it comes to managing your health and your weight, we know you have a lot of questions.
Below you will find a list of our frequently asked questions, but if you have more questions feel free to reach out to us directly.
Will my insurance cover the cost of the program?
Insurance typically assists in portions of the cost due to this being a medically monitored weight management program where you are seen by professionals in a clinic setting. It will entirely depend upon your plan though. In addition, some plans allow use of HSA or Flex dollars to pay for weight management.
How is the Weight Management at The Group similar to the program at surrounding hospitals/clinics?
Weight Management at The Group is proud to have the most comprehensive weight management program in the Quad Cities. We have a team of professionals here focused entirely on helping you reach your health goals. You will have weekly one-on-one appointments with a physician or Nurse Practitioner, Health Coach, Personal Trainer and Nutritionist throughout the program. We offer Free, value-added educational groups twice weekly as well. When you make a commitment to join our program, we commit to meeting you half-way and walking this difficult journey with you. Weight loss is complicated. We make it simple.
How much does the program cost?
There are several factors that “weigh into” answering this question. There are several different weight management plans that we offer. Depending on the plan most appropriate for you, you can adjust the cost simply due to required medical monitoring. For example, our 12 Week Change Your Life Program does not require any follow-up labwork. Another important factor is insurance. Depending on how your coverage is detailed, your insurance may help pay toward this medical monitoring. Please see our billing specialist with any specific questions you may have.
When considering the costs, which are explained in detail at a free informational session, also look at other factors: what is your current quality of life? What is your participation in life? What is the worth of an investment in yourself and your health? We factor into the VLCD (all beverage) financial consult portion of the screening process four things: What medications are you on that we are confident we can get you off of? How many times a week do you eat fast food (including Subway)? How many times a week do you have a sit-down restaurant meal? What is your average weekly cost of groceries?
If we are providing all of your nutrition for you, a lot of that expense goes away. Just a little “food for thought.”
Our meal replacements are approximately $3.50 per meal.
What can I do to get started and how long does it take?
Call our office to sign up for a free, informational session. We hold 3-4 a month and it is a requirement so that you completely understand your commitment as well as any medical risks and side effects you are facing. After the orientation we can set up your screening appointments.
Expect 1-2 weeks to complete the screening phase and get you officially started on the program. We understand that being excited and motivated is important when coming into any weight loss program, but we also understand the importance of making sure you are in a healthy state to participate in an aggressive program such as PCW. We will provide a checklist of steps you can take while you wait to get through the screening process that can improve your chances for success.
What is VCLD?
For Participants Needing to Lose 40+ Pounds
- VLCD = Very Low Calorie Diet
- A safe and effective, medically-supervised weight loss solution.
- 800-1000 calories a day for men; 600-800 calories a day for women. (See beverages)
- Pre-program comprehensive medical evaluation to determine if this program is appropriate for you.
- Weekly health status monitoring.
- Weekly clinic and optional group for support and accountability.
Why a VLCD?
- All of your nutritional needs are met
- The program is medically supervised by a team of healthcare professionals
- Rapid results inspire you to keep moving towards your long-term goals. Average weekly weight loss is 3 to 5 pounds.
- “Burn” FAT as a fuel source
The weight management team reserves the right to discharge or put anyone on hold at any time if conditions arise that could lead to medical complications.
Risks Associated with VLCD
- Cardiac Risk- Prolonged QT interval (abnormal heart rhythm, related to electrolyte abnormalities)
- Caution with Procainamide, Quinidine and Phenothiazides
- Electrolyte Abnormalities (magnesium, potassium, phosphorus)
- Gallbladder Disease (cholelithiasis, cholecystitis)
- Elevated Liver Enzymes (temporary, first few weeks mostly)
- Gout (increased uric acid levels first four to six weeks)
- Foot Drop (peroneal nerve palsy) (compression peroneal nerve)
Side Effects of VLCD
- Constipation Dry mouth
- Dry skin
- Bad breath
- Muscle cramps
- Hair loss/Thinning
- Menstrual irregularities
What is LCD?
For Participants Needing to Lose Less than 40 Pounds
What is LCD?
LCD = Low Calorie Diet
- Less than 40 pounds of weight to lose for women and less than 50 pounds for men
- There is a slower rate of weight loss than with Level 1 (about 1-2 pounds/week)
- You will have two meal-replacing beverages per day and one modified meal according to the food exchange system
Overview of a LCD
- Same screening process as for VLCD (will be discussed in detail at that time)
- Weekly clinic and optional group for support and accountability
- Success correlates with ability to adjust lifestyle choices
- Not as closely supervised by medical team
Won’t I put the weight I lose right back on?
Most of us have had the experience of losing weight only to regain it after quitting or completing the diet. Here at Weight Management at The Group, our highest priority is helping you gain the skills, habits and tools to ensure that when you leave our program you will have truly changed your life. There is no shortcut to good health. We emphasize increasing daily activity and exercise to a point where it will play a role in your weight maintenance. We utilize the latest habit change techniques based on the neuroscience of behavior change to help you restructure your lifestyle and we teach you how to have a healthy, confident relationship with food. We understand that the Adapting Phase of our program, where we systematically reintroduce food in a way that allows your metabolism to adapt is the Most Important Phase of our program.
How long will it take me to get to my goal weight?
This will depend on many factors. How much weight do you have to lose? Have you decided to use solely meal replacements to reach this goal? How well are you sticking to the program? Are you doing your exercise prescribed to you? Are you drinking your required water intake daily? How much sleep are you getting each night? Our patients who follow their plan most closely always have the most efficient weight loss; however every Body truly is different.
This is a question without a true answer.
What is my “goal weight”?
Our medical team will assist you in determining a realistic/healthy weight rather than an ideal weight. We will look at certain data points such as Body Mass Index, lowest stable adult weight, history of physical activity/exercise as well as Dexa Body Fat Analysis during the screening process as we have this discussion regarding goal weight.
“A healthy body weight is the size a person naturally returns to after a long period of both non-compulsive eating and consistent exercise commensurate with the person’s physical health and condition.”
Emphasis will be on reducing medical risks – not necessarily what you consider your ideal weight. You are more than a number!
What happens when I reach my goal weight?
Once you reach your goal weight, you will work one on one with the team to incorporate nutritious foods back into your lifestyle. Emphasis will be placed on making smart decisions and monitoring portions to ensure weight maintenance.Your exercise routine will have become established as a habit by this time. Your improved sleep, new stress management skills, and a sense of confidence in your ability and desire to choose healthy foods will all contribute to your ability to maintain your weigh. Once you have demonstrated that you can maintain your weight on a full-food diet, you will officially enter the Maintenance Phase.
Is water all I can drink on this program?
Keeping your body in a constant hydrated state is a key component to weight loss. You must drink lots and lots of water. You can also drink black coffee with real half and half creamer and tea. . Ask our team for any clarification on particulars.
Drinking water on a regular basis is one of those important lifestyle changes some people need to make that will help them better conquer their battle with obesity. Ketosis promotes dehydration, and protection of your kidneys is very important on a high protein diet.
What is ketosis?
Ketosis is the modern trend in medical weight loss. When on a Very Low Calorie Diet and keeping under your carbohydrate threshold, your body enters this state of ketosis. In this state, we know several things are happening. Your fuel will come from your fat storage. Lean muscle tissue is preserved, and it is important that you hold onto that muscle through this experience. Also, while in ketosis your body will release endorphins. When you think you will have no energy, once in ketosis (3-5 days) you actually have a surplus of energy due to the release of the hormone endorphin.
Finally, medical research has shown that when a person is in ketosis and is still receiving all of the vitamins, minerals, and calories necessary to still be healthy, any hunger you feel is a psychological hunger and not a physical hunger. A lot of people can deal with a mental hunger more easily knowing that physically they are receiving everything they need to lose weight safely and quickly.
What is the 12 Week Change Your Life Program?
- For participants with fewer than 40# to lose.
- Slower rate of weight loss: typically 1-2# per week.
- No meal replacement products are used. Instead a diet emphasizing real, whole foods will be utilized.
- Screening process is less rigorous which means you can start sooner!
- Take advantage of the comprehensive program and professional guidance to help you reach your health goals.
- Weekly visits with Nutritionist, Health coach and Personal Trainer and Medical supervision from Nurse Practitioner.
- Pay in advance to receive a 20% discount on this program.